Saturday, March 3, 2012

Vaccinations in Amsterdam

I have noticed that I have some followers in The Netherlands and for some reason, I feel the need to talk about vaccinations in the Netherlands today. In particular, the Pertussis vaccination (Kinkhoest).


I am not paranoid about vaccinations. Actually, let me correct that.  I did not used to be paranoid about vaccinations. My first two children were vaccinated on the schedule their pediatrician recommended.

But, Oskar was born in Amsterdam and received all of his infant vaccinations there. After his third vaccination for Kinkhoest,  he started having seizures. When I dug around and asked, I found out that in the Netherlands, they still use the whole cell pertussis vaccine. This is an older version of the vaccine. When I asked the doctor at the Consultati Bureau why, she told me they use the acellular ( newer, safer) version on older kids, but the old one on infants because it worked better.

I have told many doctors here that Oskar was vaccinated with whole cell pertussis, and most of them, although completely in favor of immunizations, couldn't believe they were still using it.

I don't know if they are still using it in the Netherlands, but you can Google whole cell pertussis and find tons of article about links to seizures and even if that's not true, it has a much lower rate of efficacy than the newer version.

I wish I had known then what I know now. I didn't ask what they were vaccinating my child with. I trusted doctors more then than I do now.

Just an FYI.

No comments:

Post a Comment